|This would be the look I'm hoping for|
Immediately after typing the above, I've realized this post is going to be longer and needs more explanation than I originally though, so let's start with this fact: I'm a social smoker.
I have smoked on my own a total of two or three times in my life. It's just not something I do. I'm not addicted, I don't need to smoke, and I generally don't care how cool I look to the random people on the streets. That doesn't mean I only do it to fit in or because other people are. I do it because I enjoy it, it relaxes me, and I like to pretend it makes me look cool. That right there leads me to the reason that I started smoking.
I started because I like the way it makes a person look. I don't give a damn how shallow or stupid that sounds, it's why I started. It's not like I ever hid that fact, I openly told the people around me that I pretend it does. Hell I'm not even saying it actually makes me look cool. You know that feeling when you get a new shirt and it makes you feel good and you want people to notice it? It's an accessory, same as anything else.
I started a while ago, not exactly sure when, over a year though. I mostly smoked cheap-as-hell cigars because they were cheap. Being myself though, I had a craving to try new things and interesting varieties so I've moved through a few types of cigars and cigarettes.
- Hell, I can't even remember the name of em, the cheap multi-flavored cigarillos that cost like $2 at Speedway for a pack of 20. Also they suck.
- Marlboro Blend 54's - I got these because they were menthol, which I like, and because the box looked cool. I liked them a lot but I'm not sure if I'd get them again.
- American Spirit Menthols - Yes I know, stereotypical hipster cigarette. Still, I wanted a quality menthol and the variety at the Beech Grove Speedway is incredibly lacking. They're really good, a little smoother than the Marlboro. I'd smoke them again for sure.
- Lucky Strikes - An American classic. These guys are unfiltered and STRONG. I mean, get weak after like two inhales strong. Still, they've got a good taste and I'm a sucker for things that make me feel like I could be in the 50's.
|See, a classic!|
Now, I started because I liked the way it looked, but I keep going because I like the relaxation it brings and the taste. I could quit anytime and I damn well know it. I've got no cravings and I can easily go a week without one. Plus, it makes situations where everyone is outside and smoking more pleasant.
I know what some of you might be thinking by now, and it's probably one of two things:
- "Andrew! You're smarter than that! Smoking kills!"
- "Andrew! You're retarded and I hope you get cancer!"
Anyway, I like smoking. I like the way it looks, I like trying new kinds, I like the relaxation (seriously, no one ever tells you how much it relaxes you! I mean, I've heard that before but we're talking like an actual chemical "my muscles are soothing" sort of thing!), and so on. I have to be honest, never really pictured myself as a smoker. I'm not too bothered by it.
It still makes me look cool.